Like most places in the world, Russia’s silver screens are dominated by Hollywood’s global blockbusters. Russia’s film industry has struggled with the financial crisis, but is also capable of producing films that can occasionally compete locally with the American machine. Once a month, SRAS provides a lineup of the top five movies in Russia by box office take—with the official Russian-language trailers from YouTube and, for those Russian films on the list, links to our Russian film site.
Below are films listed with their English and Russian titles (note that they differ sometimes), as well as how much the film has earned over the calendar month.
1. Седьмой сын—Seventh Son—$18.6m
2. Исход: Цари и боги—Exodus: Gods and Kings—$17.5m
3. Три богатыря. Ход конем—The Three Bogatyrs. The Horse’s Course (Rus)—$16.9m
4. Ночь в музее: Секрет гробницы—Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb—$9.7m
5. 8 новых свиданий—8 New Dates (Rus)—$7.4m